Thursday, November 3, 2011

Gmail New Layout - Chat Box

As you may be aware, Gmail is piloting the new layout and going to push it out soon.  I tried it, and at first look, I didn't like it.  Everything got so big, taking too much real estate, especially if you had a small screen.

After a few tweaks, I got it to how I like it.  On the right-hand side, there's a gear icon; under it, there's a "Display Density" setting.  I chose "Compact" which made it small again.

I'm not sure how many people actually use the integrated chat box.  I know I don't.  I wanted to completely remove it before, but I know I can't.  With the new layout, on the lower left-hand side, there's a icon for "Chat" (would only appear if you had disabled the "Right-side chat" labs feature.) and next to it "Gadgets."  Clicking on the "Chat" would minimize the chat box.  Clicking on "Gadgets" would minimize the other gadgets.

Now, I have the simple and clean layout that I like.  If you don't like the default colors, you can go change the theme.  Sounds like a given, but sometimes, people forget about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment